May 30, 2009

Week 41: 065 Saw the Light

This week, being the first week of my fancy new summer schedule, I will give you a break-down of my summer classes:
Zoo Skills: At this point, it's everything. This grades me on feeding animals, keeping up with day watch schedules, morning and afternoon area (which I finished doing a straight week of on Wed.), and all that zoo jazz.
Zoo Days: This is us spending 3 days at LA zoo and 1 day at Santa Barbara zoo (done!) working with the keepers in various areas. My LA days are coming.
Wildlife Ed. 3: Here we are doing shows again, except they're different during the week. We have set groups we work with on our week day shows and we will have a script to use (we're working on that now). So, basically we'll put on the same show all summer long, just rotating positions/roles.
Animal Training: Ah! At last! Here we meet twice a week at night for just 5 or 6 weeks and Gary teaches us some basic training techniques.
Animal Training Lab: This is where we are actually graded on training our animals! We pick one or two to train over the summer and do weekly meetings/consultations with Gary to make sure we are on the right track and to test. I have chosen to train Kissu and Benji, both just some silly behaviors, which is the focus of the summer.
Primate Behavior Lab: OK, I know I said I wouldn't take this ever, but I did. We are going on a ton of field trips to various animal facilities to look at everything they do. In between all that, we are learning a bit about primate behavior and enrichment.
That's the schedule! Pretty sweet? I thought so.
So, now you're going, "OK, Liz, but what the heck does any of this have to do with your weird title?" Nothing. Nothing at all. My title is a nod to the death of our golden pheasant, 065, or more affectionately referred to at Phez. She was old, and the necropsy showed signs of gout, and obesity... She will be missed! Here's a picture of a golden pheasant (f), not Phez, but a likeness.
Below, a video of my rat, Crow (now slightly obese), running the maze!

No comments: